Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Crooked Tree

Last weekend I spent two lovely days in the Crooked Tree wildlife sanctuary in northern Belize.  Considered one of the top bird watching spots in the world, it was delightful to hang out on the edge of the large lagoon watching birds from the cabin's porch and enjoying the breeze. On Sunday morning (at 6:30AM), I took a bird watching tour on a boat. Water levels remain extraordinarily high for this time of year, so we did not see some of the more rare birds that flock to the area once the lagoon becomes mud flats. We did, however, see green kingfishers, snail kites, three or four kinds of vultures, two kinds of ducks, some hawks, a yellow headed parrot, and others that I can't remember anymore.

One of the legends of the name "Crooked Tree" is based on three illegal loggers who hid from law enforcement on the island we stayed on. In Belizean Kriol, "three" is pronounced "tree," thus the name. Another legend says is was based on the funny, crooked cashew trees in the area. A third story says it was a local landmark used to guide people. I prefer the first story.

One of the views from our lodge.

Our guide claimed this was the "crooked tree." I prefer the first legend.

Green kingfisher. He was looking right at me.

I know it's blurry, but I love how it gives you an idea of the beautiful colors of the parrot.

No comments: